Monday, 30 January 2017

Canada offers temporary residence permits to those stranded by Trump travel ban

Canada will offer temporary residence permits to people stranded in the country as a result of U.S. President Donald Trump’s travel ban, the immigration ministry said Sunday.

“Let me assure those who may be stranded in Canada that I will use my authority as minister to provide them with temporary residency if needed as we have done in the past,” Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen said at a news conference.
Hussen did not indicate how many people could be concerned by this measure, but he said that as of early Sunday afternoon, the Canadian authorities were unaware of anyone stranded in the country by the U.S. order.

Trump on Friday suspended the arrival of all refugees to the U.S. for at least 120 days and barred entry for 90 days to people from seven Muslim-majority countries: Iraq, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

Hussen, who is of Somali origin, said the Trump administration had assured Ottawa that Canadians holding dual nationality with those countries would not be affected by the U.S. ban.

He said that people from those seven countries who have a valid Canadian permanent residency card can still enter the United States. However, under the U.S. order, the ban will apply to people from the targeted countries who are passing through Canada.

More than 35,000 Canadians with dual citizenship have citizenship with one of the seven countries, he added.

Hussen also stressed that Canada would continue to pursue an immigration policy based on compassion while at the same time protecting the security of its citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment