Sunday, 27 November 2016

Man faces father who injected him with HIV as a baby

A man, whose father injected him with HIV when he was a baby to get revenge on the boy’s mother, spoke out about the terrors he suffered while requesting that a parole board let his dad rot in jail.
The New York Post reported that 24-year-old Bryan Jackson, whose father deliberately infected him with the deadly virus, faced his evil father at a corrections hearing in Missouri.

“He didn’t just try to kill me; he changed my life forever. He was responsible for the bullying; he was responsible for all the years in the hospital. He’s the reason I have to be so conscious about my health and what I do,” Jackson stated at the hearing last month.

He added: “At first, I was very angry and bitter. I grew up watching movies where fathers cheer on their sons from the sidelines. I couldn’t wrap my mind around how my own father could do that to me.”

Jackson told his story of how he managed to survive a full-blown AIDS diagnosis as a young child, yet suffered years of rejection and pain because of his father, Brian Stewart.

When his mother found out, she was pregnant in 1991, his father, a military man, was sent overseas,The BBC reported.

“When I was first born, my father was really excited, but everything changed when he went away for Operation Desert Storm. He came back from Saudi Arabia with a completely different attitude towards me,” Jackson added.

Stewart began to deny that Jackson was his son, demanded DNA paternity tests, and became verbally and physically abusive toward Jackson’s mother.

His mom divorced Stewart, and the couple argued over child-support payments. He sometimes threatened her when they quarreled, according to Jackson.

“He used to say things like, ‘Your child’s not going to live beyond the age of 5,’ and ‘When I leave you, I’m not going to leave any ties behind,’” said Jackson.

Before his dad gave him the disease, Jackson was rushed to the hospital when he was 11-months-old after an asthma attack, but Stewart refused to help him.

“My mother called my father to let him know — she assumed he’d want to know his son was sick. When she called, his colleagues said, ‘Bryan Stewart doesn’t have a kid.’”

Stewart, who worked as a laboratory blood-tester, then devised a evil plan.

“He used to joke around with colleagues saying, ‘If I wanted to infect someone with one of these viruses, they’d never even know what hit them,’” Jackson said.

On the same day his son was scheduled to be released from the hospital, Steward visited him and injected him with a syringe full of HIV-positive blood.

“He wasn’t a very active father, so everyone thought it was strange when he showed up,” Jackson continued. “He sent my mom down to the cafeteria to get a drink, so he was alone with me.”

The child’s health immediately declined.

“My vital signs were all out of whack because it wasn’t just HIV blood he had injected me with, it was incompatible with mine,” Jackson noted.

Doctors stabilized his pulse, temperature, and breathing to normal and he was then released. But the infant’s body started to deteriorate again in the following weeks.

“She carried me to numerous doctors’ appointments begging them to find out why I was near death,” Jackson said.

Doctors could not figure out what was wrong with the baby until his diagnosis in 1992.

“I remember waking up in the middle of the night screaming, ‘Please, Mom, don’t let me die!’ ” he said. “When the test came back, I was diagnosed with full-blown AIDS and three opportunistic infections.”

An infant Jackson, right, with his father

The doctors told his mom he would only have about five months to live and sent him home.

However, the child fought the fatal disease over the years, fighting to stay alive.

“One day I would seem fine, the next hour I would be rushed back to the hospital with another infection,” he added.

“Back in the ’90s, people thought back then you could get AIDS from a toilet seat. I once read a college textbook that said you could get HIV through eye contact. The tragedy of my school life was that the school didn’t want me. They were scared.”

Other children refused to play with him and would not even invite him to birthday parties.

By the time he was 10-years-old, he had found out that his own father was responsible for his emotional and physical distress.

In December 1998, a jury found Stewart guilty of first-degree assault. He was sentenced to life behind bars in 1999.

At HIS parole hearing, Jackson asked the board to keep Stewart in prison for as long as possible.

“I recognized him from his mugshot, but I have no connection to him,” Jackson announced. “I wouldn’t even recognize him as my father.”

No comments:

Post a Comment