Monday, 25 July 2016

Syrian suicide bomber blows himself up outside German music festival, injures 12 people

A 27 year old Syrian suicide bomber blew himself up close to a German music festival in an 'Islamist suicide attack' - the third horrific attack on the country in the past week. The suicide bomber, a Syrian man who was reportedly denied asylum in the country, injured 12 people in a packed wine bar attack in Ansbach, near Nuremberg at 10pm last night.

The unnamed bomber had tried to get into the open-air music festival filled with 2,500 people but was turned away because he didn't have a ticket. So he walked to a bar in the centre of Ansback and detonated his bomb, which was said to be packed with metal fragments.

He died and injured 12 people, three of whom have very serious injuries, fortunately, no fatality has been reported.

Bavaria's top security official Joachim Herrmann said this morning that he believed the attacker was driven by religious extremism. He said:

'My personal view is that I unfortunately think it's very likely this really was an Islamist suicide attack.'
'The obvious intention to kill more people indicates an Islamist connection,' he added

Police are today guarding the Syrian's home in Ansbach, as it emerged he had been refused asylum but still allowed to stay in Germany to avoid returning to his home country. A hearse containing his remains left the scene of the bombing at dawn this morning.

The terror attack came as Germany remains on high alert in the wake of three other violent attacks across the country in just one week.

Bavaria Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann said the man had tried to commit suicide twice before last night's bombing but didn't succeed.

Today there are calls for an inquiry into how the bomber was able to assemble the explosives needed for a terror attack and whether he had links to any terrorist group.

After the explosion, the music festival was cancelled, with thousands of attendees evacuated after it was revealed that the man carrying the bomb in his backpack was denied entry to the festival in the minutes before the blast.

Source: Daily Mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment